Saturday 22 June 2013

Eating Lychees During Pregnancy

Posted by I Am Rachel Zoe's' Mom at 01:02

I have loved eating lychees ever since I was a kid, specially now that I'm pregnant. It was always been my favorite fruit. I was curious to research it on the web as I know that lychees and longans belong to the same family type of fruit. During my early pregnancy I've ate longans and I've read that it's a heaty kind of food and that it's not recommended to eat during pregnancy as this clashes with the pregnant body, which is already heaty from the inside. I've also read that longan can cause constipation, dry tongue and mouth, and may even be harmful to the child. In severe cases, mothers may even develop threatened miscarriage symptoms, such as vaginal bleeding and abdominal pain. Since then, I've never eat again up to present.

I have found out from other website that lychee is also a heaty kind of food but still, I have found out the benefits it gives during pregnancy and to share this is what I've read:


The name ‘Lychee’ comes from the Chinese word ‘Litchi Chinensis’, which means ‘gift of a joyful life’. Lychees are a great natural source of Vitamin C, Vitamin B-complex and Potassium.

Vitamin C is necessary for you and your baby as it helps build collagen, a protein required for building cartilage, tendons, bones, and skin. B-complex keeps you energetic and active all day long and helps alleviate pregnancy-related nausea. Potassium helps you fight fatigue, muscle cramping, constipation and heart arrhythmia during your pregnancy.

As a bonus, I've also read this quick, on-the-go salad for me and my little one that will help keep up with the body’s daily nutrient requirement.


Lychee Salad

Ingredients:
2 cups of fresh or canned lychees
2 Tbsp sugar or lychee syrup
3 small pieces of ginger cut into fine strips
Grated lime zest and juice of 1 lime/lemon
2 oranges 200g black grapes, halved and seeded
1 red-skinned sweet apple, cored and chopped
Fine shreds of lime zest as garnish

Method:
1) Mix the fresh lychees with ginger, syrup, lemon/lime zest and juice.
2) If using canned lychees, first drain the lychees in a sieve placed over a bowl. Discard half the syrup that has drained into the bowl. Add the lychees to the remaining syrup.
3) Slice away the orange peel and the pith (the white part between the fruit and the peel) from the oranges with a sharp knife.
4) Hold the oranges over the bowl and carefully cut between the membranes so that the juice drips into the salad.
5) Cut the segments, squeeze the membrane and add the juice to the bowl.
6) Stir in the grapes and apple and toss the mixture to mix well.
7) Pile the salad into small bowls to serve and garnish with shreds of lime zest.

Can't wait to make this one, surely I will love it! :)


Data sources:




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blessed & Waiting Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea